- St Andrews CofE School is shut to all but students of key workers.
- The main office will be temporarily shut from the 25th March 2020, however staff are continuing to work offsite. Any urgent concern should be emailed to the Head teacher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Students eligible for FSM will receive a voucher every 2 weeks. Vouchers will be emailed to the email address on the school information management system.
Implications for Grading of GCSE Examinations
Following the decision to close schools and not go ahead with this summer’s exams, the government has announced more details of how grades will be awarded this summer. I know how keen you are to have some clarity, so I wanted to share this information with you right away. Here are the main points:
- Regulators will develop and set out a process that will provide a calculated grade to each student which reflects their performance as fairly as possible, and will work with us and the other exam boards to ensure this is consistently applied for all students.
- Exam boards will be asking teachers, who know their students well, to submit their judgement about the grade that they believe the student would have received if exams had gone ahead.
- To produce this, teachers will be asked to take into account a range of evidence and data including performance on mock exams and non-exam assessment. Clear guidance on how to do this fairly and robustly will be provided to schools and colleges soon.
- Exam boards will then combine this information with other relevant data, including prior attainment, and use this information to produce a calculated grade for each student, which will be a best assessment of the work they have put in.
- Regulators and exam boards will be discussing with teachers’ representatives before finalising the approach, to ensure that it’s as fair as possible. More information will be provided as soon as possible.
- The aim is to provide these calculated grades to students before the end of July.
- These grades will be indistinguishable from those provided in other years.
- We’ll also aim to ensure that the distribution of grades follows a similar pattern to that in other years, so that this year’s students aren’t disadvantaged.
- Students will be able to appeal their grades if they don’t believe the right process has been followed.
- There will also be an option to sit exams early in the next academic year for any students who wish to – and students can also choose to sit exams next summer.
Supporting Key Workers and Keeping Schools Functioning
At the time when society and our country needs us most, it is vital that we do all that we can to ensure the school stays open for key workers children in the fight against coronavirus. We can play a key role by following the key steps below: