Subject: Geography Year: 10 Exam Board : Edexcel Course Code: 1GB0
Assessment and (Provisional) Examination / Assessment Dates:
• End of Unit Internal Assessments (Unit Tests/Quizes/ Check-Ins)
• Pre Public Examinations (1.5 Papers) (Nov 2018)
• 3 Final GCSE Exams (May 2019)
• Classroom Textbook [provided] : Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Geography B: Investigating Geographical Issues by John Hopikin, Rob Bircher, Michael Chiles. • Pearson Education Limited
Areas of study:
Paper 1: Global Geographical Issues (94 Marks, 90 minutes = 37.5% of final grade)
A: Hazardous Earth
• Tectonics, Volcanos, Earthquakes, Tsunami, Cyclones, Global Warming and the responses to these events.
B: Development dynamics
• Measuring development around the world and understanding why some countries are less developed and how to get them out of this situation.
C: Challenges of an urbanising world
• Understanding the impacts of increasing urban living and how that pattern is taking hold around the world. What are the consequences of that trend.
The exam includes multiple-choice questions, short open, open response and extended writing questions, calculations and 8-mark extended writing questions.
Paper 2: UK Geographical Issues (94 Marks, 90 minutes = 37.5% of final grade)
• Topic 4: The UK’s evolving physical landscape – including sub-topics 4A: Coastal change and conflict and 4B: River processes and pressures.
• Topic 5: The UK’s evolving human landscape – including a Case Study - Dynamic UK cities.
• Topic 6: Geographical investigations – including one physical fieldwork investigation and one human fieldwork investigation linked to Topics 4 and 5.
Paper 3: People and the Environmental Issues (64 Marks, 90 minutes = 25% of final grade)
• A: People and the biosphere
• B: Forests under threat
• C: Consuming energy resources
• D: Making a geographical decision
The exam includes multiple-choice questions, short open, open response and extended writing questions. Section C will include 8-mark extended writing questions and Section D will offer a choice of one from three decisions assessed through a 12-mark extended writing question
The assessment components are 3 externally marked exams that are held in May 2018 for the year 11’s. They are on the content as seen above and include a range of exam questions from multiple choice, short open, open response and extended writing. They are marked on undertsanding of content, analysis and evalutation of the content and spelling and grammar for the “Assess” questions.
Recommended Revision Guide/ Wider Reading / Useful websites:
Revision Website: BBC Bitesize http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/
Simple but very effective method
Quite a strong resource that summarises the key content from each of the topics and gives exam tips and strategies for students to follow.
• One-topic-per-page format helps you revise more quickly, without the hassle.
• Exam-style worked examples match the new specification and demonstrate good exam technique.
• 'Now try this' exam-style practice questions let you test your understanding of a topic.
Strongly recommended as well as it has a lot of exam questions related to each topic. This will help students to acclimitise to the new style of questioning and ensure they have the skills required to succeed during the exam.
• One-to-one page match with the Revision Guide so you can find the practice you need quickly and easily.
• 'Putting it into practice' pages correspond to the Revision Guide pages with exam-style questions and text references.
• Loads of practice questions in the style of the new exams, with their own set of accompanying texts.
• Guided support and hints provide additional scaffolding and help avoid common pitfalls.
For more information see the Director of Faculty: Mr. K. Okolo firstname.lastname@example.org